Biographical Information on George C. Means Jr. FAIA: George Means Jr. FAIA was born in Cleveland Ohio, 1920 and died April 13th 2005. He was a Freemason for 60 years. He received his Bachelor of Architecture Degree from Western Reserve University [Case Western] in 1947 and his Master of Architecture Degree from Georgia Tech in 1955. He was a WWII Veteran and served in the Coast Guard on the assault transport USS Chase. He participated in several invasions including Omaha Beach in the first wave of the Normandy Invasion. He appeared on Good Morning America on the 50th anniversary of the Normandy Invasion. After the war he practiced architecture and was involved in the planning and design of numerous Hill-Burton Hospitals. He began teaching architecture at Clemson in 1950. Students under his direction won Clemson’s first design competition for a progressive patient care hospital that was published in Architectural Record September 1965. He founded Clemson's Architecture + Health Program - then called the Health Facilities Planning and Design Studio, with its first graduate in 1968. Many of his graduates have gone on to become leaders in nationally recognized health care practices and active members of the Academy of Architecture for Health. He officially retired from Clemson in 1988 but continued teaching in the program until 1990. He was a pioneer in the area of Mental Health Facility Design. With the studio at Clemson over the decade spanning from 1968 – 1978, he helped develop SC's Community Mental Health program, design the statewide community mental health system, and design three pioneering community mental health referral facilities in SC under a concept named "The Village System." He was a member of the original AIA Committee on Healthcare Architecture when it was a nominated position to be a member. He served on the committee with other pioneers such as Armund Burgun, Martin Cohen, Ron Skaggs, Joe Sprague, Tib Tusler, etc. He became a Fellow of the AIA in 1989 and was also awarded the Order of the Palmetto, South Carolina’s highest civilian award in 1989.